Star Trek Into Darkness
I don't usually go see movies in theatres right when they come out, but the St. John's theater in Portland shows first run movies for less than regular theaters. Plus it's next to my favorite burrito place.
If you like Star Trek you will probably see this movie anyway, unless you think it is somehow a betrayal of the series, but then I'm pretty sure you'll give in and see it because you will want something to complain about. If you don't know much about Stark Trek you should see this movie, here's why:
- Amazing special effects.
- Self referential (oh look, a tribble!).
- Fist-fights on spaceships.
- Funny quips.
- Benedict Cumberbatch is great in it.
- You can overlay unspoken desire between Kirk and Spock and it makes the movie AWESOME.
- Action over substance (if you care, but I doubt it).
- Self referential (you won't get why people lose their shit over everything Spock says).
- Plot twists you can see coming.
- Moral implications of national security vs human decency glossed over in favor of fist-fight on space ship.
- Spock ex machina.
That's all you need to know to make your decision.