I had an informational interview witha grant writer today, this was her advice:
- You do not need to take an expensive class to learn to be a grant writer.
- You need to be able to write OK.
- Research the foundation you are applying for.
- Try to get in as a development associate where you want to write grants.
- Find a place you are passionate about and try to get in there.
- Think about what you can get out of your job now that can help you.
- Find people who have connections to advocate for you.
- Word of mouth can get you a lot of work once you are established.
- Live cheaply.
OK. So... I guess I'll just do all that. I'm not going to just jump ship, I'm going to keep my eyes open for the next step in my career wherever that is.